Webring

Powered by WebRing.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Embouchure Emergency: The Bone Is Dry


Embouchure: "The use of lips, tongue, teeth and facial muscles in playing a wind instrument".


I've noticed that lately after about twenty minutes of practice I'm having difficulty hitting single notes with any regularity. I figured that it was obviously fatigue of the facial muscles but it got me thinking about my embouchure and embouchures in general. After a short period of research I discovered that were more than a few types. I also realized that I was using many of them including the Farkas, Stevens, Maggio and even a modified Costello which is now known as either the Farkas, Stevens or Maggio, I forget which.

As an experiment I began to monitor the type of embouchure I was using at any given time and came up with a sequence during a short Little Walter riff that looked something like this: Farkas, Farkas, Stevens, Maggio, Maggio, modified Costello, Farkas, Farkas. Farkas. Tabbed out it goes: F F S M M mC F F F. It gets worse. I think at one point I also utilized the Reinhardt Pivot which I don't even think is possible unless you're playing a French horn or an oboe. My mouth was a mess.

I'm going to call this malady Random Spastic Embouchure Syndrome. If this is already taken please let know and I'll change it immediately. I've got several backups that are almost as good.

If anyone has a cure for this condition pass it along asap if you please. This is not one of those "cool" afflictions like ADD or Sex Addiction that affords you a measure of cultural gravitas. This is embarrassing.


PS Further research has convinced me that my problem can attributed to, um, dry lips. Without moist lips you can't slide the harp easily. The dry harp sticks to your dry lips and twists your mouth into myriad shapes that resemble classic embouchures but are not conducive to good tone. Squeals and squinks, yes. Time for some Chap Stick!

No comments: