Webring

Powered by WebRing.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Freeway Jam II


I'm not going to do an entensive breakdown of Rock N Blues Harmonica and the Jamming Buddy cd. It would take about thirty posts to do it justice and your time would be better spent just working the program. Mine too, for that matter. Suffice it to say that I've listened to the cd at least 50 times and each time I've learned something new. This isn't to say that I hear something new each time. It's just that as I learn more about the harmonica and as I become more comfortable with it the lessons take on new meaning. I've also found that each time, almost invariably, I'm able to perform a riff or sequence that I was unable to the previous session. I just successfully performed a classic Little Walter riff while tooling down the I-14 at a cool 75 mph. The previous 49 times through I was lost.

Every time you listen to the Jamming Buddy cd, or any aural instructional for that matter, your subconscious mind is quietly storing information, unbeknownst to you. The next time you listen, your conscious mind receives subliminal messages from the subconscious like, "got that part, yeah that too, um yeah,....wait!, that's the one bit of info we needed to put the whole jigsaw puzzle together. If you've ever had an epiphany, a feeling that a concept that has been inexplicably complex is suddenly clear, this is why. So when you (and this is inevitable) have the feeling that you learned absolutely nothing from a session, you're wrong! The brain is always working. Keep listening and keep playing.

No comments: