Webring

Powered by WebRing.

Friday, August 3, 2007

Ricci Hammers Hohner Harps


In a YouTube vidlette (link below) harp impresario Jason Ricci capped off an interesting and informative segment on custom v. out of the box harps with a scathing critique of Hohner's product quality. As Ricci is a Hohner player I was initially shocked, although in hindsight, I should have seen it coming.


Ricci had an OOTB Marine Band, a significantly modified Joe Spiers Marine Band and a self-customized Golden Melody, which is his harp of choice. During a roughly six minute span Ricci played similar riff sequences on each. It was obvious that the custom MB was far superior to the OOTB MB. Louder, with a noticeably richer and even tone across the entire spectrum. The results on the OOTB MB were wildly disparate. Some notes sounded fine while others seemed pinched and thin. This is indicative of air leaks and improperly gapped reeds as well other pseudo-esoteric issues that are beyond my understanding. Poor quality sums it up nicely though. Ricci's GM was loud, with a clear tone and an oddly, although mysteriously seductive, egyptian flute-like quality to it.


Ricci then went on to say that out of the box Hohner harps are "terrible, almost a waste of money". He said that giving Hohner credit for the MB and GM would be akin to crediting the guys who delivered the 2x4s for constructing the building he was in. Hohner harps are raw material for craftsmen to modify into playable instruments. Pretty harsh, but his demo speaks for itself. Also, this guy is one of the best harp players in the world. I'm going to take his word for it.

6 comments:

Dave said...

So, do we conclude that a Hohner is only worth buying if one can customize it?

I'm considering buying my first performance-quality harmonica, and I'm weighing the Special 20, the Lee Oskar Major Diatonic, and the Bushman Delta Frost.

Orwell59 said...

fatherland, I think Ricci would have the same opinion of Oskars, Bushman, Suzuki, etc. This is a guy who is at the top of his profession. Tiger Woods wouldn't like my golf clubs and Kelly Slater would hate all of my surfboards. For my level of playing an out of the box harp is fine. I couldn't get the tone that Ricci gets no matter what I used. As for the harps you mentioned, I own all three. Regardless of which one you choose you'll be satisfied. I prefer the 20 over the Bushman due to price and size (about a 1/4 inch shorter and easier to cup). The tone, to me, is about the same. The Oskar is a solid piece of gear. The reeds might be a little stiffer and the shape of the cover plates makes it a bigger bite. I've gotten to the point where I play the 20 about 95% of the time. What harps do you have now?

PS I think, based on your message, that I'll write a quick addendum to that post and explain my position a little more clearly.

Dave said...

I have a Hohner Pocket Pal. I was hoping to get something with a little clearer tone before playing with someone else.

Orwell59 said...

I've got a really old Pocket Pal that I found in a junk box a couple weeks ago. Still sounds pretty decent. But, upgrades are always in order. At least that's what I tell my wife. Harps are difficult to shop for since you can't test them out. I ended up buying Delta Frosts. Lee Oskars, Hering 1923s, Special 20s, Marine Bands, Blues Harps and I've got a Couple Johnson Blues Kings on the way. If I were going to buy a set of jam quality harps I'd get the Spec 20s. From what I've heard most of the stuck/flat reed issues on all harps are from the 7-10 hole and I don't spend much time up there. Actually, I'm guessing that most of the complaints are from people who haven't learned to play well enough to utilize the upper register properly. Also, there are vids on youtube (Adam Gussow's is one) on how to fix stuck or badly gapped reeds. I fixed a 4 draw on a Blues Harp that sounded a little flat in about 2 minutes without breaking the harp. If I can do it....

Anonymous said...

I know that Jason Ricci is right! Mr. MF is one of many peaople that play harmonicas. That does not make you or any one else that plays the harp an expert!! I have been plating at an advanced levle for over ten years and also battle with the same problem. Marine Bands sound great amped, Lee Oskars are one of the best made harps, but sound wayyy to bright for my taste! Bushman are maybe as good as Lee Oskars and a little les bright, Suzuki are also good quality harps just not that great sounding! Seydel silver are the best all around harps, but are expensive. If you aren't really good,just play lee Oskars ans bushman's. If you are good enough to realize the short commings with Marine Bands, but also know NO OTHER harp sounds as good! Well then your shit out of luck!!!chrom

Orwell59 said...

Anonymous, I disagree with two of your points, if I understand them correctly. I am not an expert (I've taken great pains to point out that I am not) but they do exist. Ricci is one. Rick Estrin, Kim Wilson, Adam Gussow, Dennis Gruenling, Jimi Lee are all experts by my estimation. Anybody who makes a living blowing or customizing harps meets my criteria. I also take issue with your "shit out of luck" comment. If you want a good Marine Band contact Joe Spiers, Brad Harrison, Richard Sleigh or Chris Michalek (also experts) and get a custom. You don't have to settle for anything. I'm on Joe Spiers' waiting list right now. Peace.